Waist-friendly, light lasagne
Lasagne is a food that’s dear to my heart. It reminds me of Garfield, comfort and that tummy-satisfied feeling of a beautiful Italian meal. But if you’re trying to lose weight, lasagne is generaly considered an off-limits food, because it’s too carb-rich, fatty and calorie-laden. You want a light lasagne….and here it is.
Here’s a version of a delicious recipe my mother used to make, in her 25-odd years on the Pritikin diet (low salt, sugar and fat).
This version replaces normal lasagne sheets with zucchini strips, but you could also use konyakku lasange sheets.
I hope you LOVE this as much as I do.
Waist-Friendly, Light Lasagne Ingredients
Makes 2 serves
- 2 whole zucchini thinly sliced (2mm) lengthways (or konyakku lasange sheets)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 stalks celery or fennel, finely diced
- 300 grams ground beef (or chicken mince, or tuna)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 whole tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 250 grams cottage cheese
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 sprig oregano, chopped
- 1 sprig parsley, finely chopped
You’ll see I’ve replaced the fatty, cheesy sauce with crumbled cottage cheese.
It goes deliciously chewy and gives the right flavour and lightness.
You can use low fat cottage cheese if you like.
Or if you’re dairy-free, check out my other version of lasagne.
Waist-friendly, Light Lasagne – Method
1. Heat oil in a pan on medium to high heat.
2. Quickly fry the zucchini strips on each side (or do these on the grill if you prefer).
3. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Fry onion, the crushed garlic cloves and celery for 3 – 5 minutes.
5. Add mince and stir in quickly, then cook until browned, then turn off the heat.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
7. Lightly oil (or spray) the bottom of a ceramic casserole dish.
8. Add a layer of zucchini slices.
9. Add a layer of the meat sauce
10. Sprinkle cottage cheese in a thin layer over the meat sauce.
11. Repeat the layering process until complete, finishing with a light layer of cottage cheese.
12. Put into the preheated oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
13. Serve with a side salad.
Waist-friendly, Light Lasagne – Nutritional Info
Body types: ALL
Total Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition (per serving): 460 calories, 13g total fat, 105mg cholesterol, 1000mg sodium, 2200mg potassium, 34g carbohydrates, 7.5g fibre, 22.8g sugar (from the vegetables and cottage cheese), 54g protein.
Serve immediately – or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This recipe is unsuitable for people with a dairy intolerance or allergy.
Chief Inspiration Coach
I’m a quirky scientist and a Health and Wellness Coach who helps 35+ women to understand and eat right for their body type.