Scrumptious mushroom walnut pate…now what does that bring to mind?
I bet you’re feeling relief at not having to eat liver (I like it, but hey, it’s not for everyone).
And you’re probably also curious. How do walnuts go in pate? Is it a bit ‘dusty’?
Walnuts tend to have that dirt-taste for me, but not in this pate.
I made it lovingly for a party recently where vegan friends were invited. Then they said, “oh, we’re not vegans anymore – but we LOVE the pate you made!”
It was a win-win situation.
ANYWAY, here’s the scrumptious mushroom walnut pate recipe to help you to simply enjoy healthy canapes, or to entertain your vegan friends.
Scrumptious mushroom walnut pate
Makes 10 individual serves of scrumptious mushroom walnut pate
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 tsp lemon rind
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tsp gelatin powder (or use 3 – 4 tsp agar agar for vegetarians/vegans)
This recipe is good for EVERY body type – though mind the portion size due to the fat and salt content.
You can use any type of mushrooms. I like to use a mix so that I get a range of flavours in the pate.
Experiment and see what you like best!
Scrumptious mushroom walnut pate – method
- Heat a frypan over medium heat and lightly toast the walnuts – set aside.
- Sautee the onion, thyme and olive oil with garlic over medium until the onion is translucent and lightly browned.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook 8 – 10 minutes, turning to brown the slices evenly.
- Transfer the pan ingredients to a Thermomix or food processor.
- Add the walnuts, miso, pepper and lemon rind to the food processor.
- Blend until the desired consistency is reached – lightly crumbly, or well-blended. In a Thermomix, try 15 seconds, Sp 5.
- Use a spatula to transfer the pate to individual shot glasses, or a glass container, then refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Heat the stock in a glass jug or milk saucepan (for pouring) and add the gelatin or agar agar powder; stir well to dissolve.
- Remove the pate from the fridge.
- Pour the stock gently into a teaspoon held just over the surface of the pate – like a barman making a cocktail. This prevents the topping from becoming cloudy.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Top with fresh herbs and extra toasted walnuts if desired; serve with lavash or vegetable sticks.
I loved making spelt lavosh to go with mine – plain and simple, with some seeds and pepper on top. YUM!
The shot glasses are an easy way to do finger food without too much mess.
Scrumptious mushroom walnut pate – nutritional info
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes (includes refrigeration time)
Nutrition (per serving): 137 calories, 9.7g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 319mg potassium, 11g carbohydrates, 2.1g fibre, 6.9g sugar, 4.4g protein.
Dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan.
Serve immediately – or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
If you have IBS or are on a low FODMAPS eating plan, these are NOT for you!
These are unsuitable for people with nut and/or seed allergies.